Why are you called the (West Virginia) Pirate Party?
A few reasons:
- We’re part of United States Pirate Party (and the International Pirate Party).
- We support the legalization of sharing movies, music and other art online, so our opponents would call us the Pirate Party anyway. We feel it’s better to reclaim that name.
- Historically, pirate ships had a tradition of egalitarian radical democracy, and provided a refuge for social outcasts and escaped slaves from a society unfriendly to them.
- We’re anti-establishment, so pirates declaring mutiny seems like a good metaphor for us.
- We believe politics and activism can have a sense of humor while still being dead serious.
- It got your attention, didn’t it?
What does the Pirate Party stand for?
In short, we stand for an open, participatory society which gives everyone a voice, and empowers everyone to live a healthy, productive life to their full potential. Check out our platform to learn how we want to achieve that.
Do you have a position on abortion, gun control, or gay marriage?
We have our Core Values and will be developing more comprehensive policies in the future. You may join a WV Pirate member meeting to learn how you can form or join a committee.
What is your goal?
Our goal is to fill any seat possible where it makes sense to the occupant. Positive and political changes also come from the inside.
Are you left-wing or right-wing?
Right and Left wing are not useful ways to see the world. This leads people to falsely disagree with each other and for this we do not subscribe to a singular ideology, we aim to do what works.
Do you support digital piracy?
Sharing digital media is part of the free and open nature. Labeling the trade of arts (and alike) piracy and theft is a sure way to hinder progression. We support reforms to copyright law which legalize the freedom to share, while more effectively helping creative professionals make a living.
How are you different from other pirate parties?
While aligned with the United States Pirate Party, West Virginia Pirate Party's agenda is more direct to West Virginia and counties within.
How can I get involved?
You can get involved by:
- Contacting West Virginia Pirate Party about starting a party in your county.
- Attending a West Virginia Pirate Party meeting
- Sign up at our newsletter system (it's the be-all of messaging systems)
- Checkout active projects and concept projects
- Creating your own project
- Volunteering to help with the forums, website, or committees